Skip to main content

MEMO

" I have found that “forgetting” is an important part of learning, particularly if I want to learn something deeply, gaining an intuitive understanding rather than just superficial facts. I immerse myself in studying something and then at a certain point my brain says “no more!” and it becomes stressful and I don’t seem to be making any progress. So I leave it for a few days (or weeks, or months) and then come back to it when it is no longer stressful (the right time seems to be when I start dreaming about it). Then I may have forgotten many of the surface details but I find it is so much easier to understand and remember the material and I can go further before I reach the “no more!” point again. It is as though my brain is doing a huge amount of reorganizing, unconsciously, during those interstitial times. Traditional learning does not usually give you the opportunity to take breaks when you need them."
       -KAIA

" O gosh, that describes me too. I think it comes from my obsessive tendencies; I want to immerse myself, suck the marrow out of a subject so I know it thoroughly. But that’s a bit overwhelming, mainly because I get to the point where I don’t understand anything, so I snap back and say “okay, it’s time to spend more time playing play-dough with my kids.” Then, weeks later, when I find myself curious about the subject again, I discover that I’ve digested all this deep understanding of the subject without really realising I was thinking about it. (and that, incidentally, is why I was labeled slow. Not slow as in delayed, but slow as in I need to keep up with everyone else. Now as an adult I look back at that and realise how ridiculous it all was — here, in their class, my teachers had a kid who was actually interested in things (not always my own things either, often it was what they were teaching). I wanted to dig deeper, stay on a subject for more than just one block, and they interpreted it as daydreaming or difficulty applying myself or something. Crazy."
    -PAUL d'AOUST

" ... Working with teachers I talk about slowing down, reflecting, savouring the ideas and enjoying learning."
     -SAM GRUMONT

" ...deep learning is slow learning,  
Watching others try to accelerate the learning of children in schools is what got me going on this idea initially. The results were often painful and fruitless. Deep learning over time, is the only way real learning seems to take place."
        -PATRICIA KAMBITSCH


In short ,Slow Learning

  • promotes deep learning
  • crosses genres, disciplines
  • is grounded in the interests of the learner
  • champions the pleasures of learning
  • promotes inquiry and dialogue
  • lasts a lifetime
  • allows for authentic learning
  • seeks unmediated experiences
  • supports, and is supported by learning in Community
           SLOW LEARNER STUDY GROUP
                                Est. 1995
      



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KEYSTONE HABIT

    Reading, studying shouldn't be forced. It can't be forced. It's voluntary, it's something that you do naturally,out of curiosity.You only need that trigger event that would make you not only cultivate a reading habit but it would spread across other areas of your life. Let me tell you my own story, early in my 20s I was lost, in the sense that I didn't know or have purpose. I wake up everyday angry and frustrated,my mom always nagging me, friends that I thought would be in my life for ever had left me not even answering my calls or replying my messages. That really broke me. Long story short, I fell into depression at age 21, mehn it was scary at first like really scary, I didn't know it was depression because I've never been depressed before so I didn't know what was wrong with me. I just knew that things don't excite me anymore even things I can't do without like listen to music didn't come to my mind, I lost my personality, I had suici

WHAT & WHY SUBJECTS SHOULD BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS

   I won't even like to call it "subject" I would prefer "matters or issues of life" that should be attended to in schools. Like I have said earlier in one of my previous blogs and as we all know that the school system is filled with abstract subjects, subjects that are far from reality. School, school teachers is a very strong influence in the life of every individual. Teaching / Lecturing is not a job , it is a ministry , it is divine. But you see society calls it a job just because at the end of the month the pay check comes in not knowing that you are part of a system molding a life here, you are molding a destiny. I for once would never forget my first year primary school teacher, why, because she taught me how to read and everyone reads or everyone should read. There are adult individuals in their thirties and forties and even above that still make references to their lecturers/teachers back in their school years. Therefore school and teachers play a signi

SLOW BUT CONSCIOUS

"Everytime we spend together there is fire in our eyes. All the things we said to each other are just nothing but truthful lies. I go dey think sey I know you well untill you choose to do me so. Now I see, now, i see!" //// "Life is so simple but they make it complicated. To be civilized you do not have to be educated. Let's make it happen so we time will not be wasted. Most of the things are anticipated like to trample on another man to be elevated, inflated egos can surely be deflated. The power of forgiveness is underrated but with love and equality we all were created. I keep on saying these things cus I know, I keep on saying these things until I go... Now, I see, now, I see!".      This is a quoted lyrics from the song, Spiritual Healing by 2face Idibia (2baba)   All the things we said to each other are just nothing but truthful lies.   Conversations most of the time is used to break the ice and to escape from awkward situations. It carries no truth and ho